To celebrate my good friend Caitlin’s birthday today, I told her I would make a dessert of her choice. The request I received from her was for a dessert my mom used to make a fair amount growing up. It was always the perfect combination of sweet and salty and was a guaranteed crowd favorite.
What am I referencing you might ask?
MAGIC COOKIE BARS!
- Baking spray for dish or tin foil
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
– HEAT oven to 350°F
– Coat 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray
Tin foil that extends over the edge coated with no-stick spray (this ensures the bars lift out without any sticking to the pan)
– COMBINE graham cracker crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with fork.
– BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Loosen from sides of pan while still warm; cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or diamonds.